The July 2017 school holidays have arrived and if you’re like a lot of other local parents you’re probably wondering where you can take the kids in Fairfield.
There will be plenty going on in the local area, with events at Fairfield City Leisure Centres, Fairfield City Open Libraries and Fairfield City Museum and Gallery.
Below is a list of local activities and events on offer (source: Fairfield City Council):
Fairfield City Museum and Gallery
- Super-Sized Selfies (Age 6-12) – $8 – Create a life size self-portrait that reflects your true dimensions! Draw, paint and colour it to reveal something fun and special about you. Wednesday 5 July, 10.30am-12pm.
- Circus Hooplah! (Age 5+) – $14.50 – Design and decorate your own Hula Hoop to take home and keep! Followed by an exciting workshop learning crazy new Hula Hoop games and tricks. Thursday 6 July, 10.30am-12pm.
- Swan Pencil Holders (Age 4+) – $15 per family (1 adult + 1 child), $2 per child thereafter – Spark imagination and creativity through the whole family with our holiday program for adults and children! Using air-dry clay, learn how to create and decorate a swan shaped pencil holder with exhibiting artist, Anney Bounpraseuth. Friday 7 July, 10.30am-12.30pm.
- Lights, Camera, Action! (Age 8-14) – $8 – Calling all future stars! Play fun drama and theatre games to learn improvised acting skills to bring a short play to life. This is an active workshop so please wear comfortable, stretchy clothing. Tuesday 11 July, 10.30am-12pm.
- Ceramic Pets (Age 6-12) – $8 – Create a clay sculpture of your favourite animal. Then decorate it, give it a name and take it home to be your very own pet! Wednesday 12 July, 10.30am-12pm.
- Plate Portraits (Age 4+) – $15 per family (1 adult + 1 child), $2 per child thereafter – Children, parents, grandparents and carers are invited to engage with art in a fun and playful way! Facilitated by exhibiting artist Anney Bounpraseuth, families will use special bake-on porcelain paints and pens to decorate a set of vintage plates to display at home. Thursday 13 July, 10.30am-12.30pm.
- Crazee Cardboard Costumes (Age 2+ – Children under 5 will need to be accompanied by an adult) – $8 – Who likes dressing up? Using cardboard boxes, glue and tape, paint and other collage materials design your own wearable artwork. Become a robot or a superhero! A butterfly or a princess! Friday 14 July, 10.30am-12pm.
Fairfield Leisure Centre
- Active Kids School Holiday Program
Kids aged 5-12 will have a ball at the Active Kids school holiday program, held over two weeks (3 – 7 July and 10 – 14 July) at Fairfield Park Precinct including the Fairfield Leisure Centre, Youth and Community Centre and Adventure Park. The program runs 8.30am- 4pm daily and incorporates a large variety of physical activities to keep kids active and improve confidence. Children will enjoy a range of activities including badminton, table tennis, trampolining and more. Prices start at $50 per day.
- Learn to Swim Winter Holiday Program
Learn to Swim classes that cater for people of all abilities and all ages from six-months to adults available over two weeks during the school holidays (3-7 July and 10-14 July), option to undertake a five or 10-day Intensive Program. Enrolments commence Tuesday 13 June 2017.
Fairfield City Open Libraries
- Big Bag Show with Dennis Clare – Mime Artist – FREE – registration not required. Mime Artist Dennis Clare presents a spontaneous show for the whole family. The audience help create the action with this interactive mime show. Monday 10 July, Fairfield Library, 11am-noon – Wednesday 12 July, Bonnyrigg Library, 11am-noon – Thursday 13 July, Whitlam Library, Cabramatta, 11am-noon – Friday 14 July, Wetherill Park Library, 11am-noon
- Children’s Movie – registrations required – Meet the guardian of the trees, one of our favourite Dr Seuss characters. Monday 3 July – Whitlam Library, Cabramatta
- Bunnings Naidoc Week Craft (Age 5+) – registrations required. Craft activities to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Presented and sponsored by Bunnings Villawood and Bonnyrigg. Monday 3 July, Smithfield Library, 10.30am-11.30am – Wednesday 5 July, Bonnyrigg Library, 10.30am-11.30am – Wednesday 5 July, Whitlam Library, Cabramatta, 10.30am-11.30am – Friday 7 July, Wetherill Park Library, 10.30am-11.30am – Friday 14 July, Fairfield Library, 10.30am-11.30am
- Lego Robotics Workshop (Age 8-12) – registrations required. In this hands-on workshop participants will get to build, create and program LEGO robots and solve really exciting challenges. Friday 7 July, Whitlam Library, Cabramatta, 10.30am-11.30am
- Manga Drawing Workshop (Age 13-18) – registrations required. Learn how to draw monsters and comic characters with easy step by step instructions in a fun workshop with the multi-talented Matthew Lin. Thursday 13 July, Whitlam Library, Cabramatta, 1pm-3pm
- Comic Script writing Workshop (Age 13-18) – registrations required. Scriptwriting for comics is a different skill than scriptwriting for the stage, film or TV. But how do you go about writing one? In this workshop, participants will learn the basics of comic scriptwriting, the visual language of comics and panel transitions, and have a go at writing a comic script. Wednesday 12 July, Whitlam Library, Cabramatta, 2.30pm-4.30pm
- Comic LAB –Drop in and meet comic creators Queenie Chan and Alex Hammond as they set-up shop at Whitlam Library for the afternoon. Feel free to have a chat or simply watch these talented artists work their magic around their latest creations. Tuesday 11 July, Whitlam Library, Cabramatta, 1pm-4pm
- Lego Free play (Age 5+) – registrations not required. Lego free play sessions are suitable for the beginner or experienced Lego builder. This session offers children the opportunity to get creative and build anything they choose with LOTS of Lego. They can either work on their own creations, or build as a team. The library will provide the Lego, while the kids provide the imagination! Children must be accompanied by a parent or carer, families are welcome. Wednesday 5 July, Fairfield Library – Friday 7 July, Bonnyrigg Library – Tuesday 11 July, Whitlam Library Cabramatta – Wednesday 12 July, Whitlam Library Cabramatta
- Super Smash Bros Winter Tournament (Age 12-24) – registrations required. Held over three days, players will battle it out for a spot in the final on day three. Be ready for thrills in the battle of the fittest and the best. Prizes will be awarded to the grand final and runner up winners. Tuesday 4 – Thursday 6 July, Whitlam Library, Cabramatta, 11am-4pm
- The Art of Creating the Perfect Selfie – Be picture perfect with these great tips on filters, lighting, framing and much more. Saturday 8 July, Whitlam Library Cabramatta, 12.30pm-2.30pm
Ireland’s Bridge Reserve, Lansvale
- Guided Walk – Cabramatta Creek – FREE – Learn about the natural environment and history of Cabramatta Creek as you walk downstream. Wear comfortable and covered shoes, sun smart clothing, sun screen and bring water. Wednesday 5 July, 9am-11am.
Nalawala Sustainablity Hub
- Recycled Art Workshop – FREE – Bring your old jewellery and bottles to paint and revamp into recycled works of art. Wear comfortable and covered shoes, sun smart clothing, sun screen and bring water. Friday 7 July, 9am-11am.
- Community Nursery Open Day – FREE – Learn how to identify plants, how to make plants grow, nursery maintenance and seed collecting. Wear comfortable shoes, sun smart clothing, sun screen and bring water. Friday 14 July, 9am-11am.